Saturday, November 15, 2008

My thoughts about technology this morning involves operating systems. We need to purchase two or three new computers for the library and all our computers are XP. Now all that Dell offers only Vista ,I don't know if we can throw two vistas in with our XPs. After years of working on getting our automation up and running we are finally ready to buy the two new computers we need for that and now I am concerned that our software won't run on VISTA. There is no way we can upgrade all our public access computers at once. My son is wanting to buy a computer and my husband can't understand that once you have a computer there is constant upkeep. I told him it is like having a car or a dog, the upkeep doesn't stop. Monday I will have to make some phone calls and see what we can do. We also need to add a public access computer. Lately we have had so many people using our computers that we have too long of waiting line. When I bacame director twenty years ago this was a completely different job than it is now.

1 comment:

Michael Sauers said...

on a basic level there are no comparability issues between XP and Vista. You should ask your automation system vendor just to be sure but since Vista is almost 2 years old my guess is that they'll say there's no problem. Generally there's no good reason to fear moving to Vista.